Green Business Standard
Includes bottles, food packaging, paper, plastic
Earn Your Green Business Certification
If your packaging company meets our standards, get certified today.
Restored & Protected Environment
- Made from materials that are substantially better for the environment than comparable ones OR with a process that saves a significant amount of water, heating or electricity
- Products made in an efficient manner but from materials such as PVC, vinyl, non-recycled gold or silver, are not allowed for companies evaluated under this standard.
- If using plastic, material must be eligible for the lowest common- denominator municipal recycling program and language included in how to recycle
- Packaging must be either returnable for disposal, recyclable, reusable or compostable
- Use of a green office or facility, including resource reuse and maximum use of post-consumer recycled resources as well as maximum water and energy efficiency
- Ensure that all the packaging materials is itself 100% recyclable (preferred)
Social & Economic Justice
- Written code of conduct and plan for enforcement if company does not own and direct their manufacturing
- Code of conduct includes at minimum prohibitions on child labor, forced labor including forced overtime, unsafe working conditions and gender and ethnic discrimination
- Local sourcing of components or supplies wherever possible