Pet & Livestock Food
Green Business Standard
Includes grain and hay grown for livestock/ animal feed and bedding; feed; supplements and medicine; treats and chews that are typically ingested
Earn Your Green Business Certification
If your pet & livestock food meet our standards, get certified today.
Restored & Protected Environment
- No use of Genetically Modified Organisms
- Ethical treatment of animals from which food is made
- Use of a green office or facility, including resource reuse and maximum use of post-consumer recycled resources as well as maximum water and energy efficiency This includes storm water management if companies have access to the exterior of their buildings or property.
- Use of USDA Organic, fair trade or Demeter certified ingredients
- Packaging made with post-consumer paper or plastic
Social & Economic Justice
- Good working conditions for slaughter house workers (required for non-vegetarian petfood)
- Complete ingredients listed in the package and online
- Made with local ingredients
This standard was revised in 2015. We held a 45 day public comment period and solicited feedback on the standard from our Certified Green Businesses.
We also took guidance from the following organizations (does not imply endorsement):
- Animal Welfare Approved
- Business Alliance for Local Living Economies
- Friends of the Earth
- National Organic Program of the USDA
- Non-GMO Project
- Organic Consumers Association
- World Fair Trade Organization and Fair Trade USA