Green Business Standard
Includes magazines; books; posters; printers; paper makers and brokers
All standards required unless specified.
Earn Your Green Business Certification
If your printing company meets our standards, get certified today.
Restored & Protected Environment
- Forest Stewardship Council certification for entire business or at least 50% of the papers used in the business
Note that Green America does not view the Scientific Forestry Initiative as a valid certification for products or processes.
- Offer recycled options for all products, from signage to business cards
- 80% of inks used are vegetable-oil or water based
- Exclusive use of water-miscible, low VOC solvents
- Participates in ink refill or container take back program for all printers
- Detailed and responsible waste management procedures for all electronics, ink and solvent / cleaning solution containers that cannot be repaired or re-used
- Efficiency standards in place, e.g. job sequencing, inventory control, in house designers who help clients maximize use of standard paper formats
Social & Economic Justice
- If company employs more than 10 staff and not have union representation for its workers, information on its website on staff benefits
- No unresolved OSHA complaints
- Emphasis on local hiring
- Discounts for clients that reflect the company’s values (preferred)