Online & Retail Stores
Green Business Standard
Includes children; clean/ hypoallergenic; energy saving; food co-ops; green home; pets; recycled goods; regional specialties
This category includes companies that sell a variety of types of products; skin care/ pet shampoo, apparel, small electronics, and home décor and some edibles and supplements are all represented on this kind of online store. Sometimes this category represents the best in green. Other times it is focused on products for kids or pets or intimacy.
All standards are required in this category unless stated.
Earn Your Green Business Certification
If your online & retail stores meets our standards, get certified today.
Restored & Protected Environment
- Coherent and robust criteria for selection of products that includes quantifiable measures, including third party certifications
- Use of a green office or facility, including resource reuse and maximum use of post-consumer recycled resources as well as maximum water and energy efficiency.
Social & Economic Justice
- Country of manufacture listed for all products, where they are sold. Exceptions include if all products are made in one country and where they are made is mentioned in the About Us/Our Story section of the website
- Social and environmental mission and vision statement for your business on its website and onsite via signage if there is a retail location
- Clear statement of how customer dissatisfaction is handled, where products are sold on website
- When selling goods made outside the US, robust and verifiable systems for ensuring at minimum prohibitions on child labor, forced labor including forced overtime, unsafe working conditions and gender and ethnic discrimination
- When selling bodycare/ pet shampoo or edibles of any sort, complete ingredient list where the product is sold on the website and on product packaging
- Money back guarantee if product is returned in resalable condition or with minimal use in the case of skin care and edibles (preferred)