Green Business Standard
Please note that bedding is included under Apparel and Textiles.
All standards are required unless noted.
Earn Your Green Business Certification
If your mattress company meets our standards, get certified today.
Restored & Protected Environment
- If wool is used, must be cruelty-free (no mulesing)
- At least 50% of mattress inventory has organic or non-synthetic/petroleum based content
- Biodegradable when exposed to the elements (rain, wind, sun) or easily recycled
- No genetically modified cotton
- Minimal and biodegradable packaging
- Use of a green office or facility, including resource reuse and maximum use of post-consumer recycled resources as well as maximum water and energy efficiency
This includes storm water management if companies have access to the exterior of their buildings or property
Social & Economic Justice
- Must know where latex is sourced and indicate that on website
- Water based glue and adhesives
- Values statement including social and environmental issues on website
- If company does not own their manufacturing facility, Code of Conduct should be in place and enforced, including at minimum prohibitions on underage labor at forced overtime
- No use of formaldehyde, lead, mercury, cadmium, bisphenol A in plastics, PBDEs as fire retardants