Green Business Standard
Includes domestic travel; ecotourism; guiding; travel information
All standards are required unless noted.
Earn Your Green Business Certification
If your travel company meets our standards, get certified today.
Restored & Protected Environment
- Ensure that their guests do not leave non-biodegradable litter behind when they leave
- Select locations depending on the season and size of group, as well as interest and itinerary
- Use most eco-friendly transport option available in country
- Use of a green office or facility, including resource reuse and maximum use of post-consumer recycled resources as well as maximum water and energy efficiency
This includes storm water management if companies have access to the exterior of their buildings or property.
Social & Economic Justice
- Provide culturally sensitive guidance on potential cultural interactions
- Ensure that monies spent in country reach the people who need it most
- For vibrant, inclusive local communities:
- Stay mainly in locally owned hotels, eat in locally owned eateries
- Policy of giving back to communities visited (preferred)