Open For Comment
We re-evaluate our green business standards throughout the year, and open standards for comment during evaluation. See what standard is currently open for feedback, and how to comment.
Green America awards Green Business Certification to companies and organizations that meet or exceed our standards for social and environmental responsibility. We certify businesses that are committed to using business as a platform for social change. Discover what makes a business green »
Green America’s Green Business Certification ensures that certified companies operate according to these standards:
- They operate a “values-based” social enterprise according to principles of social justice and environmental sustainability (values statement must be featured on website);
- They are environmentally responsible in the way they run their operations and facilities (green office/facility standards here), and in how they source raw materials, manufacture products, and market them;
- They are currently selling products or services when applying for Green Business Certification (completed website with all products/services listed);
- They operate in extraordinary ways that benefit workers, customers, communities, and the environment;
- They operate with transparency in every facet of their business; and
- They are on a path to even greater sustainability and actively use their business as a tool for positive social change.
All companies seeking Green Business Certification must meet Green America’s standards for all businesses, and also meet or exceed all required standards in their industry. Explore our standards in over 40 industries below, or learn more about our Certification and the requirements for all businesses.
- Use of a green office or facility
- Transparency in their return or refund policy
- Declaration of commitment to social and environmental values
- Commitment to accurate representation of their products and service; no greenwashing
All companies applying for Green Business Certification must meet all required standards in their industry. Explore the Standards.